I’ve been on a few diets where they recommend that you substitute whole grains such as quinoa for processed carbs. They state it like its an easy thing to do…. but have you ever tasted plain quinoa? BLEAGH! However, i found this recipe and the beetroot really does add a bit of magic to the dish and you are able to enjoy the quinoa and feel healthy! Its also such a pretty dish! Very different to your usual colours. I really love this dish!
12 Baby Beetroot (cleaned)
4 Tbsp Avocado Oil
Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
1 C cooked quinoa (cooked according to the package instructions)
4 x 200g salmon fillets
Fresh mint for serving
– Preheat the oven to 180 C.
– Toss the beetroot in 1 tbsp avocado oil and then arrange on a baking tray, sprinkle with sea salt and top with thyme leaves. Roast for 35 – 40 minutes or until tender and caramelised.
– Remove the skins from the beetroot, then puree the flesh with 1Tbsp avocado oil
– Fold the beetroot puree, lemon juice and parsley and 1 tbsp avocado oil into the cooked quinoa. Season to taste and set aside.
– Cut the salmon fillets into bite-sized cubes then rub with the remaining avocado oil and season to taste. Sear in a pan over a high heat for 30 seconds or until deep golden in colour but still pink inside
– Serve immediately with the beetroot quinoa salad and shredded fresh mint.