I think onion marmalade livens up soooo many good things!! Its incredible on hotdogs, burgers, sandwiches. It works so well with steak. I will be posting a new recipe with steak soon (once i have tried it) that includes onion marmalade. So keep this recipe handy as i will be referring to it when I post that one. This is so easy and the nice thing is that it lasts for a while in the fridge! 🙂 It also works well with cheese, like brie or camembert. Its just endless really….
2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
1.5 tsp (8ml) brown mustard seeds (optional)
4 large onions – sliced
1 – 2 medium red chillies, seeded and sliced
2 Tbsp (30ml each) soft brown sugar and red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp (45ml) balsamic vinegar
Salt and milled pepper
– Heat oil in a large saucepan
– Add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add onions and chillies. Saute onions for about 5 – 10 minutes or until glossy.
– Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
– Add remaining ingredients. Cook over a low heat for about 35 minutes or until soft and gooey.
– Spoon into a sterilized glass jar.