This is a great option if you are trying to cut down on complex carbs, or if you can’t eat wheat. Or if you just feel like something different and nutritious. Barley is one of those things that I had only really eaten in soups. Which is great, but you can’t do that in summer. I found this recipe and tried it and it works so well with the pesto. It feels healthy and nutritious and its great for leftovers at the office the next day too! 🙂
1 C (250ml) pearled barley
1 – 2 Tbsp (15 – 30ml) olive oil
350g broccoli florets
1 large red pepper, cut into strips
3 tbsp (45ml) balsamic vinegar
1/2 C (125ml) Danish feta, diced
60ml basil pesto
3 tbsp (45ml) white balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar (or xylitol)
Salt and pepper
– Cook barley according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside
– Heat olive oil in a pan and stir-fry broccoli and red pepper until JUST tender (don’t overcook)
– Add balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Season.
– Toss barley, vegetables and feta together gently (don’t mush the feta)
– Mix dressing ingredients together and serve drizzled over salad.