This woman is a genius! Another winner by Donna Hay. One day when I am big maybe I will have just a little bit of her talent!!
- 1 bunch (500g) beetroot, trimmed
- 2 cups (500ml) malt vinegar
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200g firm feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup baby mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
– To make the tarragon dressing, place the vinegar, oil and sugar in a small bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the tarragon and stir to combine. Set aside.
– Place the beetroot, vinegar, sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Cook for 20–25 minutes or until the beetroot is tender.
– Drain the beetroot and set aside to cool. Peel and thinly slice the beetroot using a mandolin slicer.
– Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add feta and cook for 1–2 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
– Layer the beetroot on plates and top with the feta and mint.
– Drizzle with tarragon dressing to serve.