Red Velvet is a bit of a craze at the moment. It’s all about the icing for me. The cream cheese element is just too good! Here’s a great recipe that I have used often.
1 ½ Cups sugar
1/2 Cup butter
2 eggs (room temp)
2 1/3 cups cake flour
2 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp red food colouring
1 Cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
125g butter (room temp)
250g Philadelphia cream cheese (room temp)
480g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven 180° C
- Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer for 3 mins on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is fully incorporated. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing
- In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract and red food colouring.
- Add a fourth of the dry ingredients and mix, then add a third of the wet. Continue adding in a dry, wet, dry, wet pattern – ending with the dry ingredients
- Scoop into cupcake holders, about ½ to ¾ of the way fill and bake for 18 – 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate the pan after the first 15 mins of baking to ensure even baking.
- Allow to cool for one minute in the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 2 ½ dozen cupcakes
- Cream the butter and the cream cheese together for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom to ensure even mixing.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the icing sugar, continually tasting to get desired sweetness. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate as desired