This is my great grandmother’s recipe! It was passed down to my Grandmother who was a brilliant baker. Visits to Nanna always guaranteed that you would get a home baked treat at tea time! It’s incredible how food can bring special memories back. Although my Gran is sadly not with us anymore, whenever these cookies are in the oven she always seems so close!
2 Cups flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
½ tsp salt
1 Cup butter (at room temperature)
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup white sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence (or extract)
2 Cups oats
2 Cups rice crispies
1 Cup coconut
– Preheat your oven to 180 C
– Sift flour, salt and bicarb together in a bowl.
– In a separate bowl, beat the butter until it gets light and fluffy and then add the eggs and sugar
– Stir in the vanilla and the flour mixture
– Add both cereals and coconut and mix together until just combined. Don’t overwork it.
– Drop large teaspoon fulls on greased baking tray
– Bake in the oven for 12 – 15 mins
This recipe is very sentimental to me, so I would not change it. But you could throw in some choc chips or macadamia nuts or something to make it a bit different.