Bread and butter pudding has made a bit of a comeback. Making it with brioche adds an incredible new touch and transports you to a very decadent place! 🙂
- 10 slices brioche (or day-old white bread)
- butter, softened
- 90g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 500ml milk (or half cream and half milk)
- 50ml brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 45ml dark rum (optional)
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 1 punnet fresh blueberries
- 20ml icing sugar or cocoa, to dust
- Custard to serve- Slice the brioche into slices and then triangles. (if using normal white bread, cut the crusts off first)- Butter one side of each triangle well.- Arrange in an oven proof dish.
– Sprinkle some of the chopped chocolate in between the pieces as you are arranging them.
– Mix the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and rum (if using) together and pour over the bread.
– Scatter over the remaining chocolate and blueberries and sprinkle liberally with extra sugar.
– Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
– Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for about 1 hour or until golden brown and set.
– Dust with icing sugar or cocoa. Serve with custard.