Recipes like this have killed my ability to make an ordinary sandwich. Its a bit of a problem. The combination of flavours in this dressing just makes this recipe POP! The fennel also adds a very interesting dimension. Great idea for lunch, or a mid week dinner.
- 4 x 100g thin beef steaks, trimmed
- 125g haloumi, sliced
- olive oil, for brushing
- 2 slices sourdough bread, char-grilled
- whole-egg mayonnaise, for spreading
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 40g baby rocket leaves or baby spinach leaves
- ½ bulb fennel, thinly sliced
For the Dill and caper dressing:
- 1 tablespoon salted capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or white balsamic vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
– To make the dill and caper dressing, place the capers, dill, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
– Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Brush the steaks and haloumi with oil and cook for 1–2 minutes each side or until meat is browned and cheese is golden.
– Spread the bread with mayonnaise, top with tomato and alternating layers of haloumi, rocket, steak and fennel.
– Spoon over dressing to serve.
Recipe by Donna Hay