This is my step mom’s recipe. Its delicious, bursting with flavour and has a sweetness to it that kids will also love. This one is nice to make over a weekend and then to let it sit in the fridge for a monday night dinner and just warm up and serve as it really is better if it sits for a day 🙂
250g dried peaches
500mls fresh orange juice (with segments if possible)
35 ml olive oil
8 – 10 chicken thighs (skin on)
2 onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, sliced
1 leek, (or 2 baby leeks) sliced
2 sticks cinnamon
3 whole cloves
2.5 mls (half a teaspoon) ground ginger
15mls (1 tbsp) curry powder
20 mls vinegar
40 mls brown sugar
5 mls (1 tsp) salt
8 baby potatoes
300 mls chicken stock
– Soak the peaches overnight in the orange juice.
– Pre heat your oven to 160 C
– Heat oil in a large pan and brown the chicken thighs well on both sides. Set aside.
– Add onion and garlic to the pan and saute till soft. Add carrot and leek slices and saute for 3 minutes.
– Take off the heat and add cinnamon, cloves, ginger and curry powder. Stir. Place a lid on and let the mixture ‘sweat’ for 4 minutes.
– Place back on the heat, add the vinegar, brown sugar and salt. Add the potatoes to the mixture and add the chicken thighs.
– Add peaches and the orange juice and mix well and then pour the chicken stock over the top.
– Bake for 1 and a half to 2 hours.
The flavours in this curry will develop if allowed to stand for 24 hours (refrigerated).
Serve with yellow rice