The combinations of these flavours are too delicious! It’s so easy and looks very impressive. Works well as a starter for a dinner party because you can make it look really pretty 🙂
1 block of haloumi cheese, cut into small cubes and tossed in a little bit of flour
1 punnet strawberries, sliced in half, lengthways
1 packet baby spinach
A few rocket leaves to garnish
6 – 8 slices of proscuitto
For the dressing:
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 flat teaspoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons hazelnut oil
– Preheat oven to 180°C.
– Roast hazelnuts in a shallow baking pan in middle of oven until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Rub warm hazelnuts in a kitchen towel to remove skins (don’t worry if some skins don’t come off). Cool them off, then blitz them in a food processor until small ‘crumbs’ form.
– Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Add oils in a slow stream, whisking until combined well. Add the blitzed hazelnuts and stir well.
– In a frying pan, cook the proscuitto until just crispy, cool and break into bite size pieces and set aside.
– Add a touch of olive oil to the pan and then gently fry the haloumi cubes until golden and set aside on kitchen towel to drain.
– Toss together the baby spinach, strawberries and a small amount of dressing.
– Divide the salad into serving bowls and then put the haloumi cubes on top of each and some proscuitto and a rocket leaf or two and finish off with a drizzle of dressing around the edges.