This recipe has been in my family for years and always makes me think of my sister who often used to make these on a weekend. Don’t rush them, that extra love ingredient makes these special!
4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup sugar
– sift the flour, baking powder and salt together
– in another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
– add the milk and vanilla essence and mix together.
– fold the egg mixture into the flour until just combined and then with an electric mixer, mix together for about 2 minutes until the lumps have gone. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
– you can eliminate extra fat if you have a good non stick pan, but if not you can use a little butter to fry them in. I use a non stick pan. Just oil the pan and wipe it dry. Then heat the pan up on a medium heat. Put the mixture into a jug and pour blobs into the pan. Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface and turn over. Repeat until the mixture is done.
Makes about 30 crumpets.
Serve with butter and syrup and bacon if you like 🙂