This is a fantastic ‘dinner with friends’ meal! you can serve it all separately and people can help themselves. Its fun food and not expensive at all to make! and you can make a LOT if you are feeding more people – just multiply the recipe 🙂
Olive oil for frying
200g lean beef mince
200g minced pork
Toasted sesame oil for frying
1 – 2 red chilis – finely chopped
1 x 5cm piece of ginger, grated or finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
Zest and juice of 1 lime
3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 little gem lettuces, separated into leaves, to serve
Sweet and spicy dipping sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 – 2 tsp fish sauce
1/2 chopped chilli (leave the seeds in for extra heat)
The juice of 1/2 a lime
A bunch of coriander, chopped
– Heat a large frying pan and add a little oil. Mix the beef and pork mince together and season with salt and pepper and mix well to ensure the seasoning is evenly distributed. Fry the mince in the hot pan for five to seven minutes until crisp and brown and broken down to a fine consistency. Drain the crisped mince in a sieve – this will help it stay crispy. Set aside.
– Add a tablespoon of sesame oil to the pan and add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Fry with a pinch of salt and the sugar for two minutes. Add the drained mince and stir to mix.
– Add the fish sauce and heat through. Stir in the lime zest and juice, then add the spring onions, stirring for thirty seconds. Turn off the heat.
– Mix all the dressing ingredients together and adjust to taste.
– To serve, spoon some of the mince mixture into the lettuce leaves, drizzle with a little dressing and serve.