A gorgeous, light and healthy way of serving calamari without all the heavy lemon buttery stuff! The litchi’s add an incredible element to this dish! You will go back for more and more! This is a perfect starter as its light and fresh and you can stretch the calamari further!
250g dried flat rice noodles
1 can litchis, halved and 1 cup (250ml) syrup reserved
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
8 baby calamari (squid) tubes, cut and scored
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup Thai basil leaves
1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
1 cup Vietnamese mint leaves
1 cup spearmint leaves
2 cups (160g) bean sprouts
lime wedges, to serves
– Place the noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 6 minutes or until softened. Drain and refresh under cold water. Set aside.
– Place the litchis and reserved litchi syrup, fish sauce, lime juice and pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
– Place the squid, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to coat. Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over high heat. Add the squid and cook for 30 seconds each side or until just cooked.
– Place the noodles, basil, coriander, Vietnamese mint, spearmint, bean sprouts, and squid in a bowl and toss to combine.
– Drizzle with the litchi dressing and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe by Donna Hay