I made this the other night and it was such a great new way of doing fish. I used frozen fish and it worked beautifully. A nice difference to boring old fish and veggies for a mid week meal. This is super easy and so tasty!
For the Salad:
500g fresh or frozen hake
1 English cucumber, very thinly sliced
1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
80 ml (1/2 cup) fresh coriander
One handful of bean sprouts
60ml (4 tbsp) toasted cashews
– Preheat your oven to 220 C
– Drizzle fish with a little olive oil and some freshly ground salt and black pepper and roast for approximately 20 minutes or until fish is jut cooked through. Remove from the oven and flake half the cooked fish with a fork until its is very fine. Set aside the remaining half.
– Heat a little oil in a small frying pan and fry the finely flaked fish in batches on high heat until very crispy. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
– Break the remaining half of the cooked fish into large pieces and crisp quickly in the same oil. Drain on paper towel. Set aside until ready to use. Do not cover with anything as it will go soggy.
For the dressing:
1/2 tsp fish sauce or soya sauce
60 ml (4 tbsp) fresh lime juice
30 ml (2 tbsp) soft brown sugar (muscovado)
– Mix the dressing ingredients together and heat to dissolve the sugar.
– Place the large pieces of fish on a serving platter. Top with cucumber slices, onion, bean sprouts and cashews. Sprinkle with the crispy fish. Drizzle with dressing just before serving.
Recipe by Sharon Glass