One of the big favorites in our home. This takes a while to make but the oven does most of the work. It’s absolutely delicious!! Good homey, comfort food!
1 large onion – peeled and chopped
1 punnet button mushrooms, sliced
1 large carrot – peeled and chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced
50g plain flour, plus extra to dust
500ml chicken stock
250ml single cream (Dew fresh)
Sea Salt and black
1 whole cooked chicken, stripped of all flesh
300g good quality ready made puff pastry
1 medium egg with 1 tbsp water (egg wash) to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 200 (180 – fan assisted)
2. Melt the butter in a large, wide pan and add the onion, mushrooms, carrot and potato. Saute gently for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
3. Add the flour and stir well. Cook, stirring frequently, for another 2 minutes to cook out the flour.
4. Pour in the stock and cream and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, for about 5 – 10 minutes until thickened.
5. Add the shredded chicken meat. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
6. Spoon the chicken filling into one large or 4 small pie dishes to fill or just below the rim(s). Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a large round enough to form pie lid(s).
7. re-roll the trimmings and cut long strips to fit around the rim of the dish(es). Brush the rim(s) with water. Position the pastry strips and brush these with egg wash. Lift the pastry lid on top and crimp the edges to seal. If you wish, decorate the top of the pie with leaves cut from the pastry trimmings. Brush the pastry with egg wash to glaze.
8. Bake the pie in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot. Leave to stand for a few minutes before serving.