This is honestly the best lemon meringue I have ever had! Its important to leave it in the oven until cooled so that it doesn’t crack. ENJOY this one!!!!! yummmmmmmmm!
half tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3 extra large eggs
125ml (1/2 cup) sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tsp boiling water
1 tin condense milk
Juice of 1 large lemon
Half a tsp baking powder
– Preheat the oven to 180 C
– Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla.
– Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to form a soft dough. Press dough out into a medium pie dish. Make sure you press the dough out thinly as it will rise when you bake it. There will be enough dough to make two bases ( you can freeze them for a later stage if you want)
– Bake for 15-20mins or until slightly brown. Set aside to cool.
– Turn the oven down to 150 C
– Separate the eggs.
– Mix the egg whites with the sugar, salt and boiling water and beat until stiff peaks form. Once they are stiff, fold in half a tsp of baking powder.
– Mix the egg yolks together with the condense milk and the lemon juice and pour that mixture into the baked base.
– Place the stiffened meringue egg white mixture on top of the condense milk mixture and make peaks to make it look pretty
– Bake for 30 mins. Turn off the oven and leave the lemon meringue in the oven until cool.
Recipe by Anthea Mathew
Photo courtesy of BBC Good Food