Who doesn’t love ribs? This recipe is divine with incredible flavour. Taste and adjust as you go so you get the balance right. But this one is a winner! Thanks Gordon! 🙂
1 kg pork ribs
5cm piece of fresh root ginger, sliced thinly, length ways
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp dried chilli flakes
1Tbsp szechuan pepper corns
4 whole star anise
8 Tbsp honey
4 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
300ml Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
5 spring onions, sliced
400mls chicken stock
– Preheat the oven to 180 C
– Season the ribs with salt and pepper and brown in some olive oil in either a large roasting pan on the hob, or a frying pan (in batches).
– Make sure that the ribs have some good colour and then add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute or two. Place the ribs in a large oven proof roasting tray where they can be spread flat (not on top of each other). Then add the chilli flakes, szechuan peppers, honey, soy sauce, vinegar and rice wine (or sherry). Mix everything together well and the flatten the ribs on the surface of the tray. Add the spring onions and chicken stock.
– Roast in the oven for 30 minutes and then turn them over and cook for a further 30 minutes.
– After that, place the tray on the hob again, or put the ribs in a frying pan with the juice that they have cooked in and on a medium / high heat, fry them for a few minutes each side to finish off the glazing process.
– You can now refrigerate them for the next day (just reheat when you are ready to serve). The flavours will continue to develop. Or you can serve immediately.
Recipe by Gordon Ramsay