With my husband suffering badly from acid reflux I am on the hunt for good bread that will be gentle with him! This is a fantastic recipe that was developed by a lady who had a son with terrible cancer. Even with his drastic ops he was still able to have this bread. A winner I’d say!! 🙂
1/2 cup warm water
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
9 cups sifted whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup cracked wheat
1 tablespoon sea salt
– Stir together the 1/2 cup water and applesauce in a small bowl. Dissolve the yeast in the mixture, let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes.
– Pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl with 3 1/2 cups of warm water, honey, molasses, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and eggs; stir together to combine well.
– In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, flax seed, sunflower seeds, cracked wheat, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the yeast mixture until a smooth dough forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
– Lightly grease and four 20 x 12cm loaf pans. Punch down dough, shape into loaves, and place in the pans. Allow to rise in pans until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
– Preheat oven 180 C.
– Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when removed from the pan and tapped on the bottom.
Makes 4 loaves. You can change the quantities for less.
Recipe from allrecipes.com