Definitely a favourite of mine. This recipe takes me back to childhood. There’s just nothing like a home made carrot cake. The ones that you buy in stores just don’t even get close to what I think carrot cakes should taste like. You can also make carrot muffins with this recipe which I also love. Just reduce that cooking time to about 20 minutes. 🙂
For the Cake:
2 Cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 large eggs
1 Cup white sugar
3/4 Cup muscovado sugar (firmly packed brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Cup vegetable oil
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecan nuts
For the icing:
125g butter (room temp)
250g Philadelphia cream cheese (room temp)
480g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp finely zested orange peel
1/4 cup chopped walnuts for garnish
– Preheat oven to 180 C and grease and flour a cake tin.
– Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves together in a bowl.
– Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla together until smooth and add oil gradually in a steady stream on low speed.
– Add the flour mixture and beat until just blended.
– Fold in the carrots and nuts and place in the prepared cake tin.
– Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked. – cool first in the tin for about 20 – 30 minutes and then take it out and cool further.
– For the icing, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, zest together until smooth and light. Then add the icing sugar and mix until smooth. Ice the cake and garnish with the nuts.
Photo courtesy of google.com