A great idea for lunch box treats. These guys are not only healthy but they are also low GI and when you have a kid like mine that gets seriously grumpy with any kind of drop in blood sugar, these are a lifesaver! They also freeze very well!
3/4 Cup (187ml) quick cooking oats (plus extra for topping)
1 Cup (250ml) wholewheat flour
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
1 tsp (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup (125ml) brown sugar
1/3 Cup (80ml) low fat milk
1/4 Cup (60ml) Canola oil
1 Cup (250ml) grated apple (with the skin!)
– Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a muffin pan with paper cupcake cases
– Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk and oil together until smooth. Add the grated apple.
– Gradually add the wet mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined.
– Spoon the batter into muffin tins and sprinkle a few oats on the top if you desire (just for decoration)
– Bake 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 Muffins
This recipe comes from “The Sweetllife” Magazine which is a magazine aimed at people with diabetes.