A gorgeous layered dish of macaroni, mince and creamy sauce similar to lasagne. Serve in squares with greek salad and crusty bread!
For the meat sauce:
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
500g beef mince
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup red wine
1 can tomato pure’e
For the Cheese Sauce:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
4 cups milk (warmed)
salt and nutmeg
1 cup cheese
2 eggs, beaten
For the topping:
Grated cheddar cheese
Slivers of butter
250g Macaroni – cooked according to packet instructions.
– Fry the onion in the garlic and butter. Once the onions are soft, add the mince and stir until the colour has changed.
– Add the salt, pepper, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
– Add the wine and cook for a minute and then add the tomato puree. Cook for 30 – 40 minutes on a low heat. Add the parsley at the end.
– For the cheese sauce, melt the butter and then add the flour. Stir until you get a paste. Slowly add warm milk and stir until thickened. Add salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat and add the cheese and stir in the beaten eggs.
– Grease a baking dish with butter and cover the base with half the cooked macaroni. Spread meat sauce over evenly and then pour half the cheese over the top. Top with the remaining macaroni and then pour the rest of the cheese sauce over it.
– To make the topping, mix the cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the mince and macaroni and dot with butter.
– Bake uncovered at 170 C for 50 minutes until golden brown.
– Turn off the oven and leave to settle for 15 minutes and serve!
Recipe by Adele Koninis