I once went on a diet that required me to eat salad (but the boring lettuce, tomato cucumber type things) day in and day out. When I stopped the diet I fiercely disliked salad. When people asked me to bring a salad to a braai I would secretly groan as I just couldn’t bring myself to look at a lettuce, let alone get creative with it. But then, in my rebellion to the ordinary salad, I created this guy. It became a hit at social events. It has a LOT of awesome goodies in it. But that’s what makes it!
Layer the salad in the following steps, starting from the bottom layer working your way up! This makes enough for 8 – 10 people, so you can scale it down accordingly 🙂
1) A mixture of butter lettuce and Crisp water lettuce and baby spinach – enough to cover your salad platter
2) 1/2 a cucumber, sliced
3) a handful or two of baby carrots sliced in half lengthways
4) a handful of cherry tomatoes – halved
5) 1/2 of each (Red, yellow and orange peppers) sliced julienne
6) 1 packet of bacon chopped into small chunks– fried and cooled
7) 3 or 4 rounds of black pepper feta cheese crumbled
8) 1 packet of black, pitted (if possible) marinated olives
9) 2 Avos – cubed. or sliced
10) 1 packet of thinly sliced sundried tomatoes in vinaigrette
11) 100g raw walnuts
12) 1 packet of Woolies Salad nut and seed sprinkle (or any seed and nut salad sprinkle)
13) Croutons or veggie chips to garnish
14 ) Balsamic glaze to finish it off.