Don’t be fooled by the dates, they add an incredible dense and sticky texture to this gorgeous pudding. True decadence for a real spoil! 🙂
200g pitted dates, chopped
5ml (1tsp) bicarbonate of soda
80g butter, softened
200ml (3/4 cup) castor sugar
2 extra-large eggs
250ml (1 cup) cake flour
8 ml (1 ½ tsp) baking powder
125ml (1/2 cup) fresh cream
125ml (1/2 cup) treacle or any brown sugar (dark and sticky sugars give a better flavour)
– Place the dates and water in a small heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the dates are soft. Remove from the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda.
– Cream butter and castor sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and creamy.
– Sift flour and baking powder together. Fold into egg mixture. Stir in dates and water mixture until well combined.
– Spoon into a greased medium ovenproof dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for about 45 minutes, or until firm.
For the Sauce:
– Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small heavy-based saucepan and stir over a low heat until butter melts. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Serve warm with sauce.
Serves 4 – 6
Recipe from the Royal Kitchen cook book