This recipe was given to me years ago by my cooking hero! It’s not the prettiest dish, but you need to take my word for it, this is a little bit of heaven on a plate! Oxtail is amazing on a cold winter’s night served with fluffy basmati rice and some lovely veggies on the side.
2 Punnets Oxtail
2 Bay leaves
2 oxtail stock cubes
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tin tomato paste
2 tbs dried parsley
3 tbs sugar
2 tins chickpeas (drained)
- Brown the oxtail in a little oil and set aside to drain on paper towels
- Add 2 finely chopped onions to the oil in the pot
- Add the browned oxtail
- Mix the stock cubes in one litre of boiling water and add to the onions and oxtail together with the bayleaves. Make sure that the meat is covered by the stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a low heat and allow to cook and lessen for 4 – 5 hours , stirring every 20 mins
- Once the mixture has reduced, add the juice of 1 fresh lemon, the tomato paste, the garlic, parsley and sugar and cook for 45 mins at a gentle simmer
- Add the drained chickpeas and allow them to heat through in the mixture but turn the stove off.
- This dish is best served the day after with Basmati Rice.
Recipe by Rene Kairuz