This is an incredible take on the red velvet classic. It has a beautiful dense, moist base, filled with a cheese cake filling that compliments the cake so well. I topped mine with strawberries only, but this recipe from Moirs suggests chopped meringues as well. It’s something different and quite special! A great option to make for a dessert as you can do it the day before!
For the Cake:
312 ml (180 g) cake fl our
187 ml (150 g) sugar
5 ml Moir’s Bicarbonate of Soda
10 ml cocoa powder
2.5 ml salt
125 ml buttermilk
1 extra large egg
165 ml oil
5 ml vinegar
15 ml Moir’s Red Food Colouring
2.5 ml Moir’s Vanilla Essence
230 g cream cheese
1 x 397 g can condensed milk
80 ml fresh lemon juice
5 ml Moir’s Vanilla Essence
4 meringues, chopped
250 g strawberries, hulled and halved
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Sift the dry ingredients together. Do this TWICE.
2. Beat the buttermilk, egg, oil, vinegar, colouring and essence together.
3. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
4. Pour into a greased 25 cm flan tin. (I used 2 smaller disposable tart tins)
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 -35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Cool in the pan. Once cooled, press the centre down a bit and using your fingers around the edges shape the cake into a ‘pie crust’ shape to make space for the filling.
7. Beat cream cheese and condensed milk together until smooth.
8. Add the lemon juice and the vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.
9. Pour into the prepared flan casing.
10. Refrigerate for about 3 hours or until set.
11. Sprinkle the crushed meringues on top and press gently into filling.
12. Arrange strawberries on top and dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Recipe by Moirs