I came across this Hairy Bikers recipe on the BBC Food website about 3 years ago when I was going through a halloumi craze! I wasn’t very big into no meat meals so I got a deboned leg of lamb from my butcher and cut it into cubes. Rubbed some of the salsa verde onto them with some salt and pepper and then seared them in some hot olive oil and then added them to the skewer and finished them off with the rest of the ingredients in the griddle pan. I also precooked my button mushrooms before skewering them and it worked beautifully. You could also add cubes of rump steak and treat in the same way as I did the lamb. There are so many fantastic flavours in this dish and make for a really great vibrant and colourful meal to brighten your week up! This is the recipe that introduced me to salsa verde which has become one of my absolute favourite tastes!
For the couscous
125g cous cous
125ml hot vegetable stock
5 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, juice only
1 ready-roasted red pepper, shredded
50g toasted flaked almonds
50g dried apricots, chopped
For the skewers
200g halloumi cheese, cut into 2.5cm cubes
8 cherry tomatoes
8 button mushrooms
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
Rumb steak or deboned leg of lamb cut into cubes (optional)
For the salsa verde
bunch parsley,chopped leaves only
bunch basil, chopped, chopped leaves only
bunch mint, chopped, chopped leaves only
2 tbsp drained capers
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
½ tsp Dijon Mustard
100ml olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- For the couscous, place the couscous into a bowl and cover with the hot stock. Cover the bowl with a plate or cling film and leave for four minutes.
- Uncover the bowl and fluff up the couscous with a fork. Stir in the remaining ingredients, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- For the kebabs, preheat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Toss all of the kebab ingredients together and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Thread the ingredients onto metal kebab skewers and cook on the hot griddle for 5-6 minutes, turning frequently.
- For the salsa verde, place all of the salsa verde ingredients, apart from the olive oil, into a food processor and blend, gradually adding the oil until you have a loose paste.
- To serve, spoon the couscous onto plates, top with the kebabs and drizzle with the salsa verde.
Photo from the BBC Food Website