Well things in our home have been hectic to say the least! A busy toddler is no joke! But I am trying to get back into getting bit more creative with the meals I have been making and I am trying hard to find a little time to look for some yummy recipes to share with you. I found this one yesterday and made it last night and it was a real winner! My son has a gluten intolerance so I used gluten free flour to make the whole dish gluten free and it was a hit! Beautiful fresh flavours. I apologise for the quality of the photo – I’ll get better!
For the Batter:
- 3 Eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 cups flour (I used gluten free flour)
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- Salt and pepper
For the salad:
- 4 – 5 chicken breasts
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 large carrot, finely Julienne
- 1 cup red or green baby cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cucumber – sliced
- 60g flaked almonds and 2 chopped spring onions for sprinkling on top
- Oil for frying
For the dressing:
- 6 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbs sushi vinegar (you can use rice wine vinegar)
- 2 tsp dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Splash of sesame oil (half a teaspoon at the most)
- Put all the dressing ingredients into a little blender and blitz until mixed and put aside.
- Mix the egg and milk together in a bowl and then in a separate bowl mix the flour and cornflakes together and season well with salt and pepper.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips, then dip each strip into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture, making sure that it is covered completely.
- I used my deep fryer to cook the strips but if you don’t have one then you can use a pot and put enough oil in to deep fry at a relatively high temperature until the coating is a crispy golden brown. Drain on kitchen towel. You will need to probably do the chicken in batches.
- Mix all your salad greens and bits in a bowl or separate bowls for each person, place the chicken strips on top and then sprinkle with the almonds and spring onions. Finally dress the salad with that yummy dressing! ENJOY!