In my eyes, you can’t really go wrong with white chocolate and cranberries! One of my favourite combinations. This recipe is from Gordon’s Ultimate Cookery Course and is a real winner. They freeze really well too!
230g butter, plus extra for greasing
340g dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
280g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp dried cranberries
240g white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
– Preheat the oven to 180 C. Lightly butter a 23cm square cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
– Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the sugar, pinch of salt and the vanilla extract. Whisk well and remove from heat.
– Add in the 2 unbeaten eggs and stir well until a smooth paste is formed
– Sift the flour, bicarb and baking powder in a large bowl, then whisk in the egg and butter mixture a little at a time to prevent getting lumps.
– Leave the mixture to cool slightly, then fold in the chocolate chunks and cranberries.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly
– Bake at 180C for 35-40 min
– Leave to cool in the pan first for at least 10 – 15 minutes and then remove from pan (expect the center to fall a bit)
– Cut into squares.
Recipe by Gordon Ramsay