A true South African Classic! And a super easy recipe! Winner!
1kg self raising flour
– Beat eggs and sugar until light and foamy
– Add buttermilk
– In a separate bowl, sift the flour and salt together and then rub in the butter.
– Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and butter mixture.
– Shape dough into balls the shape of eggs.
– Place in greased loaf tins packed closely together
– Bake at 180 C for 50 – 60 minutes
– Leave to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely.
– Once completely cool, use a knife to separate the rusks, place on a clean baking tray and allow to dry out at 70 C for 4 – 5 hours, or overnight. (overnight is better)